The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will investigate the 2015 Kotkapura and Behbal Kalan firing that followed the Bargari Guru Granth Sahib sacrilege, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh said on Monday.
The decision was taken following the recommendation of the Justice (retd) Ranjit Singh Commission.
Singh also announced compensation and jobs for the families of those killed in the firing at Kotkapura and Behbal Kalan that took place on October 14, 2015.
“The government has raised the compensation amount for the families of the two deceased from Rs.75 lakhs as recommended by the Commission to Rs.1 crore each, whereas the compensation for the seriously injured S. Beant Singh has been raised from Rs.35 lakh as recommended by the Commission, to Rs.50 lakh. A member of each of their families would also be offered a job in the government,” he added.
The decision to hand over the case to the CBI for further probe, Singh said, had been taken to ensure impartial and objective investigation.
CBI is already probing certain other cases of sacrilege of Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, which were handed over to the central agency by the state government earlier.
“The Commission of Enquiry headed by Justice (Retd) Ranjit Singh submitted its first (part-I) report on 30th June 2018. Though the full report is awaited, the Government has decided to accept the recommendations made by the Commission so far,” said Captain Amarinder.
The report of the Commission would be laid on the floor of the Punjab Vidhan Sabha in its next session after the Commission completes its proceedings.
The role of the Commando Police for use of indiscriminate lathi-charge, causing injuries to a number of persons, has also been recommended to be investigated, which has not been done till date.(Minimal edits applied, story generated from syndicated ANI feed)