Nick Carter, the 38-year-old member of the Backstreet Boys, is currently being investigated by the Los Angeles (LA) County District Attorney’s Office in connection with alleged charges of sexual assault levelled against him.
The Santa Monica Police Department brought the case forward on Tuesday, the LA district attorney’s office told Fox News.
The investigation into the charges against Carter follows up a Police report which was filed in February, in connection with an alleged sexual assault incident in 2003.
In February, American singer Melissa Schuman of the band Dream filed a police report accusing Carter of raping her in 2003.
She took to her Twitter handle, saying, “I’m finally doing what I thought I could no longer do. Im filing a police report #timesup #bebrave #bethechange #metoo thank you @RAINN for empowering me to take this step.”
In November 2017, she wrote a blog where she revealed that she was “”forced to engage in an act” against her will.
“After kissing for a moment, he took my hand and brought me into the bathroom adjacent to his office. He shut the door and we continued to kiss. I asked him what we were doing in there. He didn’t respond and continued to kiss me,” she wrote.
“He then picked me up, put me on the bathroom counter and started to unbutton my pants. I told him I didn’t want to go any further. He didn’t listen. He didn’t care,” she added.
Carter had earlier revealed that he was “shocked and saddened” by the accusations levelled against him, saying that Schuman had “never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual.”