The Bhopal district returning officer on Sunday issued a show cause notice to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate and 2008 Malegaon blasts accused Sadhvi Pragya Thakur in connection with a complaint that the candidate continued poll campaigning even while she was banned by the Election Commission. On May 1, the EC had imposed a 72-hour campaign ban on Pragya Thakur for her remarks on former ATS chief Hemant Karkare and Babri mosque demolition, which came to effect from 6 am on May 2.
The notice was sent to her after the Congress complained that Thakur violated the rules of prohibition, according to ABP reports. During the 72-hour ban, she went from temple to temple and campaigned covertly via religious songs, alleged the Congress.
Two notices were sent last month to Thakur who is an accused in the Malegaon blasts for her comments on slain Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare and boasting about her role in the demolition of the disputed Babri mosque. It is the third notice the EC has sent her so far since the BJP announced her nomination for the Bhopal Lok Sabha seat.
The BJP has faced global condemnation for its decision to nominate someone who’s on trial for terrorism for the parliament. Last week, a BJP spokesperson, Nalin Kohli, had faced humiliation on Al Jazeera TV as he struggled to defend his party’s stand on Thakur.
Meanwhile, Thakur denied all the charges for her reported remarks on Karkare and said she didn’t make the comments to invoke religious sentiments and it was merely a reflection of her inner voice. But the EC was not satisfied with her replies on Karkare and the mosque demolition.
Last month Pragya had said she was proud of the 1992 incident and demolition of 16th-century mosque instilled confidence among countrymen. An FIR also was registered against for this alleged statement on the demolition boast.