Reading Time: < 1 minute

New Delhi:

The Election Commission has, on Sunday, revealed that over 909 posts on social media platforms had been removed during the LS polls. It has taken down 650 posts in Facebook, followed by Twitter (220), ShareChat (31), YouTube (five) and WhatsApp (three), said Dhirendra Ojha, Director General of Communications in the EC, after the final phase of election was done.

Ojha said, 73 of the 909 posts were political advertisements in the “silence period”, two violated the Model Code of Conduct, 43 were held responsible for “voter misinformation”, 28 were crossing the “limits of decency”, 11 were exit polls and 11 constituted hate speech.

“A total of 647 cases of paid news have been found in all, and during the seventh phase, 57 cases,” Ojha said. He said the total number of paid news cases was 1,297 across the seven phases, of which 342 were reported in the first phase. He also said that 1,297 confirmed cases of paid news were reported during the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.

Meanwhile, according to Facebook’s Ad Library Report, there were 1.21 lakh political ads with a total expenditure of more than Rs 26.5 crore between February and May 15 this year. Political parties have spent over Rs 53 crore on digital platforms like Google and Facebook between February and May, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) accounting for a lion’s share of the spending.

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of