Reading Time: < 1 minute
Mumbai:

The Bombay High Court, on Friday, granted bail to four accused in 2006 Malegaon blast case. They were arrested seven years ago, on December 29, 2012.

A division bench of Justices Indrajit Mahant and AM Badar granted bail to Lokesh Sharma, Dhan Singh, Rajendra Choudhary, and Manohar Narwariya.

As per division bench’s order, the accused will be released on a cash bail of Rs. 50000. The Bench said that the accused should attend the special court on every day of the trail. The bench also said that they should not destroy evidence or contact witnesses.

The accused belongs to Hindu Right-wing group Abhinav Bharat. In 2006 a special NIA court denied their bail petitions. They filed bail applications in the high court in June 2016.

The serial bomb blasts outside a cemetery near Hamidia Masjid in Maharashtra’s Malegaon on September 8, 2006, claimed 37 lives and injured over 100 people.

The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) initially blamed the bombings on the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI). On 25 April 2016, the court found the initial ATS charges to be fabricated and released the nine Muslims previously arrested. Later the involvement of Hindu-terrorist group Abhinav Bharat was confirmed by ATS.

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of