US President Donald Trump approved military action against Iran, however, abruptly called it off. Iran had shot down an American spy drone.
A senior administration official said the operation was underway in its early stages when it was called off. The official said planes and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired, according to reports.
“Iran had made a big mistake,” Trump had tweeted on Thursday condemning the attack.
However, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif rubbished US claims. “The US wages #EconomicTerrorism on Iran has conducted covert action against us & now encroaches on our territory,” he tweeted. “We don’t seek war, but will zealously defend our skies, land & waters. We’ll take this new aggression to #UN & show that the US is lying about international waters,” he wrote.
The US wages #EconomicTerrorism on Iran, has conducted covert action against us & now encroaches on our territory.
We don't seek war, but will zealously defend our skies, land & waters.
We'll take this new aggression to #UN & show that the US is lying about international waters
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) June 20, 2019
Meanwhile, Vladimir Putin responded to AFP that US sanctions against Iran are unreasonable.
“The US says it does not rule out the use of force… This would be a disaster for the region,” Putin said in Moscow. “It would lead to a surge in violence and an increase in the number of refugees,” he said.
The situation between the US and Iran turned hostile after the United States accused Iran of attacking two of its oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on June 13.