Close to one lakh names have been excluded from the additional draft released by Assam Government to draft NRC. These names were initially included in the draft NRC, released in July last year, but were eventually found ineligible.
“As per provisions contained in Clause 5 of the Schedule of The Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and Issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003, an Additional Draft Exclusion List consisting of 1,02,462 persons has been published today,” a statement by NRC State Coordinator Prateek Hajela said.
The date of the publication of the final NRC is July 31, as decided by the Supreme Court.
In a draft published last year, 2.89 crore people were included in the draft NRC leaving behind 40 lakh people. The excluded were given a chance to appeal in the ‘claims and objections’ round.
According to the statement from the State Coordinator of the NRC, those in the new exclusion list will be informed individually through letters to be delivered at their residential addresses along with the reason of exclusion after which they can file claims against their exclusion.
“The submission of a claim and its disposal by the Disposing Officer through a hearing will happen together,” the statement said.